Tuesday 7 June 2011

A semi-colon, after all...

(For men or the squeamish: I may give TOO MUCH INFORMATION in this blog entry so I suggest you stop reading now.)

When I gave birth to the twins 11 and a half years ago, I opted for sterilisation at the same time as we already had three beautiful children and I was 34. I was very surprised and disappointed to find out that despite having my tubes tied (or cut, I'm not really sure) I was still going to have my monthly periods. After all, it's not called 'the curse' for nothing.

However, when I saw my oncologist and he was going through the side-effects (the nurses and doctor seem to enjoy discussing this - either they want their arses covered for any eventuality or they get a certain perverse pleasure) he informed me that the drugs could make me go through my menopause early. I shrugged my shoulders and was not bothered in the slightest. At least I wouldn't have the long, drawn out process of hot flushes and bad moods. And no surfing of the crimson wave. Hurrah! But when my period did not arrive when due last week, I felt a certain sadness. And not because I had recently bought a bumper pack of tampons at our local Costco either - suddenly, I felt old and infertile. I've left my youth and all that. I'm not deluded - I know I left it ages ago but sometimes I still like to tease LH about the possibility of having more children. I know I've been sterilised but I did have to sign a waiver saying there was still a one in a thousand chance of still getting pregnant...

As it turns out all that angst was premature as the curse arrived today. And what a pain. Bring on the menopause, I say.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, like! Know exactly where you are - no way we're going back to babyhood and yet it all means a bit more than just that...except when it's a pure bother. Yes, contradictory. No, nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful what you wish for, otherwise your next post could be 'irritable semi-colon'!
    With the odds you've quoted, my money is on quads next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's loads of other uses for tampons so don't worry about being wasteful! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Told you.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.tamponcrafts.com/
    Lx

    ReplyDelete